Thursday, October 13, 2011
By Janet Erickson
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6592074
The other day I was wandering around the web looking for information about positive and negative thinking.
I found many articles that had great little snippets of advice on how to remove negative thoughts.
Below you will find a summary of some of the tips I found on how to deal with negative thinking.
1. One of the things I found that surprised me was that there seems to be studies that imply that negative thoughts have a greater impact on our lives then do positive ones. I suspect that the reason for this would be the emotions attached to these thoughts. I would think that the negative thoughts are super charged with emotions while the positive ones lack any strong feeling. This would mean that you need to have a lot more positive thoughts to counteract the negative. Also it would mean that you need to have a lot more emotions associated with your positive thoughts.
2. Since we know that we are prone to negative thinking always have some fall back positive thoughts to use to counter with.
3. Be aware that the negative thoughts are tenacious. They do not want to give up their hold on your life. When you realize that you are in a negative spiral just stop and smile at yourself. Be aware of what is happening and just kick those negative thoughts out of your mind.
4. Do things that make you happy. Do not give room in your mind for the negative.
5. When you find yourself angry at someone immediately change your point of view to the positive.
6. If you have heard the expression, "You are what you eat". Well you also are like the people you hang out with. If you hang out with negative people you will simply absorb their negative energy so remove negative energy from these people. Work very hard at being with positive people and you will find yourself becoming more positive.
7. Ban all negative words from your vocabulary.
8. You will find that helping others is a great way to help yourself. Helping the less fortunate will make it harder to keep negative thoughts in your mind.
9. When you are stressed you are more likely to have negative thinking. Be aware of this and immediately change any negative words.
10. Pay attention to the good things in your life. Focus on gratitude.
11. Look outside yourself for advice. When you are being attacked with negative thoughts asks friends and family for a little perspective.
12. Use the negative thinking as a way to be aware of what is going on in your life. If you start thinking negative thoughts look at what situations you were in that might have triggered them. If you can identify specific situations then you can either avoid them of be prepared to defend against negativity.
13. Reframe the thoughts you are having. Instead of thinking that "this situation is impossible" work at changing the thoughts to "this situation gives me a lot of challenges to use to grow".
14. Realize that you are not perfect and that neither is anyone else.
15. Know that you say things to yourself that you would never say to anyone else. Treat yourself at least as respectful and you would a stranger.