1st Feb 2011, Maple Dreams Office, Mumbai – Plan your month
Plan your month!
Picture courtesy - http://i.ehow.com/images/a06/ha/3l/glock-calendar-200X200.jpg
• Its been a while since I attempted putting my thoughts on to this white screen, this medium of communication, my somewhat personal journal that helps me introspect and question what I do, why I do, how I do, whatever is it that I do.
• I am back to work after a really long break. Break from work yes, but it wasn’t a break to seek leisure but to do something that I had always wanted to for the last 7 years and finally I got started working on one of my biggest dreams. But more about it later. Yes, it was intense, physically challenging & mentally draining. The activity of learning something new isn’t easy at all; the process tests your skills, your grasping power. Most of your faculties are put to test, however, how you put what you have learnt into practice is by far the most important & the most crucial part of the learning process. For I believe, if you haven’t done enough, you haven’t learnt enough and vice versa.
• It’s also the first day of the month today, time for some sweets I guess…(going by the dairy milk ad)
• It’s that time of the month when I am most pensive & at the same time most excited. It’s about planning the month, goals to accomplish, commitments to fulfill, finding newer projects, handling & serving old clients. Bills, Bills & more bills… on the other hand… Revenues, Revenues & more Revenues…Now that part excites me the most.
• The first of any month is the best day in my life. It is the day when I evaluate my last month’s performance, I plan the projects I want to initiate, the benchmarks I want to surpass & a whole lot of activity relating to putting deadlines to wishes happens on this day.. I charge myself up for the professional commitment to perform and also the courage to face, accept & manage the peripherals that accompany it.
• As a business coach, my only aim at any given time of the day is to make sure I continuously increase my knowledge bank & my skill sets so that I am fully equipped & armored to face any challenge that my clients would want me to help them solve. Hence, there is always this apprehension of not being completely equipped with the latest tools & methods. The fear of being outdated always scares me to go find the next technique in business management that would help me provide the most prudent solutions to my clients. I guess, this activity of being useful to someone keeps me ticking, this is what gives me the kick & I am so happy to be doing what I love the most.
• Now coming back to the first day of the month… This is the day I plan all that I need to update myself with & what new knowledge I need to acquire in context to my professional demands during the month.
My process of planning my business for the month is as follows.
1. I tally my monthly goal sheet for the last month with the achievements I made. I carry forward the goals that are pending from the last month onto the current month, in addition to the goals I need to achieve for this month.
2. I write down my monthly goals under various heads like income, saving, knowledge acquired, marketing, customer service & personal achievements.
3. Further, I break down each goal under each head into weekly goals. This helps keep track of what I want to achieve on a continuous basis through the month.
4. Finally I tally my goal chart with my achievements every weekend & make course corrections along the way.
5. This month onwards I am going to add one more goal category and that is physical goal. My focus starting this month would be to lose all that extra flab I have been burdening my poor body with. This is one area which requires immediate attention & hence it becomes my goal category.
• Any area that you wish to achieve or correct personally or professionally can become your goal category & you can set benchmarks for yearly, quarterly, monthly, weekly & even daily basis & make sure you make progress step by step.
• Yes there will be times when you will be way behind schedule or off the mark from your goals but this process of self correction will help you get back to action in no time.
• So I hope you too will start the month with your own goal chart, paste it in your home, office desk or on your computer & make sure you follow it on a daily basis. I assure you, you will be proud of yourself once you make it a habit.
So get going & make this month the most memorable & successful month you have ever had in your life!!!
All the best